April is Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month.
SAAPM is recognized in April by both civilian and military communities. The Department of Defense observes SAAPM by focusing on creating the appropriate culture to eliminate sexual assault and requiring a personal commitment from all Service members at every level.
The 2017 theme is: “Protecting Our People Protects Our Mission,” which promotes the following:
“Protecting our People…” Each of us has a role in ensuring the men and women around us can live and work free from the threat of sexual assault.
- Each Service member—regardless of rank—must know, understand, and adhere to Service values and standards of behavior in order to eliminate sexual assault and other inappropriate behavior.
- Addressing sexual harassment in a unit is an important step to preventing sexual assaults, since many victims of sexual harassment, especially men, later experience a sexual assault.
- Understanding how to recognize opportunities for intervention is vital to stopping unsafe behavior, to include any form of retaliation.
“…Protects our Mission.” In addition to the devastating impact on an individual, a sexual assault can severely impact a unit’s readiness to perform its mission.
- We must encourage positive behaviors by recognizing acts that contribute to a supportive command climate.
- We can protect our mission by ensuring everyone within the Department of Defense is committed to advancing an environment where sexist behaviors, sexual harassment, hazing, bullying, and sexual assault are not tolerated, condoned, or ignored.
The DoD Safe Helpline provides five ways for DoD community members affected by sexual assault to get help. Safe Helpline is confidential, anonymous, secure, and available 24/7 worldwide—providing victims with the help they need. Call the Safe Helpline at 877-995-5247. For more information please visit www.safehelpline.org.
The SAPR Source webpage (http://sapr.mil/sapr-source ) serves as a one-stop shop for SARCs, SAPR VAs, and other SAPR professionals to access timely updates on victim assistance and prevention efforts, activities and events, tools and guidance, and important program and p